Friday, January 9, 2009

Just some facts about NZ

  • to turn on their light switches you push them down
  • to use a plug outlet you have to turn on a switch, like a light switch
  • They eat fish and chips here all the time. It's like the junior bacon cheeseburger of New Zealand
  • the d word and h word are not swear words here. lucky for me. Even little mormon 3 year olds say it without being reprimanded!
  • to say something is cool, they say "cool as" and "sweet as," go ahead, say it out loud. yeah, I was surprised too!
  • they call candy: lollies.
  • they call swim suits: toggs
  • The toilets flush counter clockwise here. go ahead, flush your toilet. yeah. your's is clockwise. (It's because the water currents in the southern hemisphere are opposite to the currents in the northern. so if you had two toilets in the same restroom, right on the equator, one in the northern hemisphere and one in the south, they would spin different directions. k I hope you didn't read that.
  • Yield signs say "give way." That's nice because I thought "yield" meant "avoid" or "stay away from" since like high school. So it's nice to have it broken down like that. Don't ask me why I thought that yield meant that. I know I'm an idiot.
  • It's funner to drive (and ride bikes) on the left side of the road
  • I enjoy being the minority
  • I think I belong outside the country just because I don't like being the same as everyone else. I enjoy being looked at funny. Quite satisfying.
  • I read and write with a New Zealand accent in my head. Narrating every word. I hope i pick it up in my speech.

2 comments:

  1. Hallie my Pallie! That is so awesome!!! Sounds like you are having a blast. And frankly my dear, I do give a dang. (If I was living there, I would just go ahead and say the real thing guilt free. Aahhhh, the life! I miss you already. Love Ya!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete